Sunday 18 November 2012

Sew Inspiring

I used so many different tutorials, that all links I've used, can be found here on my Pinterest board "Sew Inspiring".

I'm 27 now. At 22 I had a freak out, about getting old. I cried most of the day, and didn't want to celebrate. I've just turned 27, which I realise isn't old, but I've learned a lot since 22. Maybe it's the tribe of children we've had, maybe it's actually listening to my Mum, realising that she knows what she talks about, and following her guidance, but whatever it may be, I feel like I'm happy, really happy, with my life.

For my birthday  mum and dad bought me my first sewing machine, and I'm a bit in love. It's a Brother, with 27 stitches, and came with all sorts of feet, and needles, and bobbins and things to play with.

I'm obsessed. I like to just sit and stare at it until I feel confident  inspired enough to start sewing.

My babies have chunky legs. Yep, I know that was a bit of jump in conversation there, but I feel I need to tell you about their beautiful roly deliciousness. Sophie doesn't really even have knees, she has two fat rolls with a line in the middle. Even Ryan's toes are chubby. Every time I look at them, I'm so happy that they are healthy and plump babies. Looking back at their newborn photographs, while they were beautiful, they were so thin, and malnourished looking. It makes me cry to look at their gaunt cheeks, and stick legs. So helpless and sick looking (not that they were).



Now, they are beautiful seven month olds, chubby and beautifully roly. It's coming into Summer, and it's already nappy and a t-shirt weather so I set about making Some nappy covers.

I went to Spotlight and bought all sorts of awesome fabric, and set about making my own pattern, by stretching out Ryan's bought diaper cover, and attempting to add on a seam allowance and working out the crotch length- and failed. Sophie's cover was far too tight, and had too much going on up the top, so folded under and it was a bit of a fail. But, below is a picture of it... cute, but not right. 


Then I happened upon a fantastic free pattern for The Perfect Dipper Cover (which I hate calling it, because in Australia we call dippers, nappies). 


So, take two was a great success, it really IS the perfect pattern. I made the 6-12 month size, and it's a little big, but they aren't getting any smaller! I chose to use bias binding with teddy bears on it, around the top and leg holes, and I love the finish. I'm so happy that it turned out well... and would you look that those edible legs! 

I've also just finished making Sophie a ruffle bum cover and matching headband. I learnt a lot of new skills doing this one, and I'm so excited with the result. I loved making the ruffles and flowers, and the cover doesn't have bias binding on the leg, just encased elastic, and I was apprehensive about how it would look, but it's still lovely. I can't wait to make some Christmas covers- and maybe even a tutu! 









No comments:

Post a Comment